Today’s Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by the Broke and the Bookish) asks for our favourite quotes from books we’ve read this year.
- “I read stuff. Books are not my only friends, but we’re friendly. So there.” – Magonia, Maria Dahvana Headley
- “I embrace the label of bad feminist because I am human. I am messy. I’m not trying to be an example. I am not trying to be perfect. I am not trying to say I have all the answers. I am not trying to say I’m right. I am just trying – trying to support what I believe in, trying to do some good in this world, trying to make some noise with my writing while also being myself.” – Bad Feminist, Roxane Gay
- “What colour are your eyes?
Olly (O): blue
Madeline (M): Be more specific please
O: jesus. girls. ocean blue
M: Atlantic or Pacific
O: atlantic. What colour are yours?
M: Chocolate brown.
O: More specific please
M: 75% cacao butter, dark chocolate brown
O: hehe. nice” – Everything, Everything, Nicola Yoon
- “He talked about an ocean between people. And how the whole point of everything is to find a shore worth swimming to.” – Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, Becky Albertalli
- “A bit early to put all the chips in the fryer just yet. Why don’t you just wait and see? Remember: There’s a reason the Fairy godmother gave Cinderella two glass slippers.” – Searching for Grace Kelly, Michael Callahan
- “When we originally went to the moon, our total focus was going to the moon. We weren’t thinking about looking back at Earth. But now that we’ve done it, that may well have been the most important reason we went.” – Binary Star, Sarah Gerard
- “In the first months without him, Edith had marveled at how any different types of quiet there could be. What had been so different about the levels of noise with him sitting in the chair, reading for hours in his drugstore glasses? Why did every shower, now, feel like such an exercise in fallacy, preparation for an event never coming, though, this had always been a lone ritual?” – Infinite Home: A Novel, Kathleen Alcott
- “Before that she hadn’t realized how fragile happiness was, how if you were careless, you could knock it over and shatter it.” – Everything I Never Told You, Celeste Ng
- “Maybe I’ll post a consumer review. ‘Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10′” – The Martian, Andy Weir
- “Hesitation is the death of advantage.” – A Darker Shade of Magic, Victoria Schwab